Friday, September 17, 2010

Spirited Away

At the beginning when I started this blog, I told myself that this would be a good media for me to write about my journey and adventures while I am away at work. But I encountered quite an experience while I was in Jakarta just a week ago. It was unrelated to work, which surprises me the most. It happened on the last night of the holy month of Ramadhan.

It is customary for Moslems to exercise a night of "I'tikaf" during the last few nights in the month of Ramadhan. "I'tikaf", as I understand it, is when you spend your time exercising your religious deeds, such as praying tahajjud, reading the Quran or sharing your perspectives about Islam with others, in the mosque from midnight until just before sunrise.

For those of you who would like to try doing this, I have one suggestion: bring your best friends along. Personally, it was the best time that I have ever had with them. And who would have thought that these party animals can be a spiritual bunch too!

"If laying down is all that it takes, then this should be a piece of cake!"
 

A night to enlighten oneself

Hanging out at a Satay rickshaw just outside of the mosque





1 comment: